I thikn I’m addicted to baking. I am starting to think I might need to find a support group! Every night when I’m trying to go to sleep, I focus on what I am going to bake the next day! I realise that this is not normal but it seems to have be how I’m geting through lockdown here in Sydney.
I ‘m too scared to count how many times I have made this fabulous chocolate slice this year – it would definitely have double figures! This slice is soo good. It can be made with very basic pantry staples and is done in just 25 minutes! And everyone loves it! It can of course be made gluten and dairy free so everyone can enjoy it!
It also freezes really well. So, why not have some generous wedges available in the freezer for those days when things aren’t that rosy. Don’t worry – we all have them! I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!
- 150 g Nuttelex or normal butter if not dairy-free
- 1/2 tsp salt only use if using Nuttelex or unsalted butter.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten free plain flour or standard plain flour
- 1/3 cup gluten free self-raising flour or standard gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup desicated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups icing mixture
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 20 g salted butter finely chopped
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. I used a rectangular tin with dimensions 27.5 cm x 17.5 cm x 3.5 cm. This is a standard slice sized tin that can be found in most supermarkets and kitchen stores.
- Melt the Nuttelex or butter in microwave oven for 2 minutes. If no microwave, use small saucepan on stove. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Add Nuttelex, salt, brown sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Sift over flours and cocoa powder. Add 1/2 cup coconut. Stir to combine.
- Spread into slice tin. You may need to use a spatula to push it in evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until firm to touch. Check at 25 minutes – every oven is a little different. Once done, remove and allow to cool on a rack.
- Now the fun part – make the chocolate icing! Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder then add butter and boiling water. Stir until smooth. Lather over the slice!
- Cut into approximately 16 pieces with a sharp knife. I dip mine in hot water before I cut it to get a smoother cut.