I’m such a fan of saving a dollar or 2 when I can but I hate compromising on quality. So, in this episode, makeup artist, and good friend of the show Susan Napper runs us through her favourite budget alternatives to some of the cult beauty products many of us are obsessed with aka dupes.
Like many ‘grown-up girls’, Susan had a career change in her mid life. In her early forties, she gave up her successful career in arts administration to follow her passion for colour and design. She enrolled in a makeup artistry course and hasn’t looked back! As a beauty concierge, Susan audits her customer’s current makeup and then provides objective, tailored recommendations based on her extensive knowledge of available products and brands. She also arms her customers with the skills to apply and use these products so women feel empowered to live their best life. Yes please!!!
Where To Find Dupes
Susan shares with us her favourite website for finding out the goss on good quality dupes. She loves Temptalia by US beauty blogger Christine Mielke. Findation is also another fabulous resource for dupes. It is a relational database that allows you to find products suitable for your skin based on the products/colours you have previously used and loved. Genius! It is rumoured to be the same database that is on the Mecca website!
Susan’s Favourite Dupes
– Nars Super Radiant Illuminator – this is an awesome glow product available from Mecca which is around $60. Susan’s dupe for this is the Revlon Colourstay Endless Glow – shade 001 which is around $20.
– Stila One Step Prime – a cult primer which sells for about $60. Susan’s dupe for this is Aussie brand Calmmé from La Joie Skin which is just $25. Calmmé is not just a primer but also great for eczema, chafing and multi first aid situations. Alex thinks it would be an awesome product to take away on holidays as it could solve a myriad of issues!
– Tarte Shape Tape Concealer – a cult heavy duty concealer which many of us rely on to conceal melasma or blemishes. It;s awesome and it a little on the $$ side – it’s $42. Susan’s dupe is E.L.F. brand’s 16 hour Camo Concealer which is just $10 for Kmart here in Australia.
– Cult CC cream by It Cosmetic’s Your Skin But Better from Sephora is a phenomenal product which Susan very much loves. But it isn’t cheap – it’s $63. And while this is expensive, it is often hard to source here as it sells out very fast! So, your plan B my friends is Susan’s dupe recommendation – Dream Urban Colour by Maybelline which is just $13 from our favourite shop Chemist Warehouse.
– Mecca’s Illuminating Primer called Lit From Within which Susan is a big fan girl of. It sells for $40. Susan’s dupe is the Revlon Photo Ready Primer Plus which sells for about $30 but is regularly on special for closer to $17. She believes it is very comparable in texture and performance.
The Girls Favourite Luxe/Less Products
In each episode, Alex (and her guest) share their favourite luxe and less products of the moment.
Luxe – Aesop Parsley Seed Mask – $50
Less – Sukin Natural Skin Cleanser – $11.95
Luxe – Sodashi Clay Cleanser with Sandalwood – $69. Clean Beauty brand from Western Australia.
Less – E.L.F. Lip Laquer – $7 from Kmart!
You can listen to Alex and Susan’s chat below or on your favourite podcast app or via the link just below.
Thanks for the BeautyChat!