Let’s be honest – there’s nothing better than mouthful after mouthful of rocky road at Christmas. It keeps me going when all I, surviving purely on adrenalin and caffeine!
This version of mine has evolved over the years but the beauty of it is that it is totally changeable. If you don’t have turkish delight – throw in mixed lollies. Out of macadamia nuts? Do not despair – use cashews.
I thoroughly enjoyed munching on this during the Christmas episode of the Book Club when the lovely Mandy Newman entertained us with her rendition of I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas with her lovely voice and guitar. You can find that episode here.
It is so simple to make – there are no excuses really. So, get to it and make yourself one of the best Christmas treats around.
- 350 g milk chocolate melted I use Cadbury
- 150 g dark chocolate Lindt or Cadbury Old Gold work well here
- 200 g marshmallows chopped
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 bars bars Turkish Delight – approx 110grams
- 1/2 cup macadamias You could use peanuts or cashews
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. My tin measures 27.5cm x 17.5cm x 3.5cm but don't stress too much if yours isn't exact.
- Melt the milk chocolate. I use the microwave and blast it for 1 minute increments on medium heat. Spread the milk chocolate over the bottom of the lined slice tin.
- Chop or cut the marshmallows – I use kitchen scissors here. gently push these into the chocolate.
- Spread over the coconut, chopped Turkish Delight bars and chopped macadamia nuts, again gently pushing them into the chocolate.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave using the same technique above. When melted, pour it over the ingredients in the slice tin with the aim of filling in the gaps.
- You could top it with some additional coconut – whatever takes your fancy!
- Refrigerate until set.
- When ready to enjoy, use a warm knife to cut it into slices.
- Substitute the Cadbury milk chocolate for Sweet William dairy free and gluten free chocolate. This is available at the large Australian supermarkets, You can find it here.
- Ensure you use a dairy free dark chocolate. The Lindt 70% chocolate is dairy free and my boys never have an adverse reaction to it.
- Substitute the Turkish Delight bars with any lollies that meets your dietary requirements. Turkish Delight bars are gluten free so if you don’t need to worry about avoiding dairy then go for it!