One of my go-to recipes for #meatfreeMonday, this mushroom risotto – courtesy of the uber talented Jamie Oliver – is joyous. I found this wonderful recipe in his Jamie’s 30 Minute Meals Cookbook where he accurately describes it as his ‘Oozy Mushroom Risotto’.
This is highly recommended people – I have followed his recipe but removed the celery – as I really don’t want to buy a large bunch of celery and just use 1 stick! Call me frugal!
Jamie Oliver’s Mushroom Risotto
- 1 large onion
- 15 grams dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 chicken or vegie stock cube
- 300 grams arborio rice
- ½ glass white wine
- 500 grams of mixed fresh mushrooms
- fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 40 grams Parmesan cheese or dairy free cheese is required
- large knob of butter or Nuttelex
- ½ lemon
- handful of parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion and dried porcini mushrooms in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Drizzle some olive oil into a saucepan and add the mixture. Stir while it cooks.
- Finely chop the rosemary leaves and add to the pan with the rice.
- Stir 1 minute and add the wine and stock cube. Stir until the wine has been absorbed.
- Season and add a mug of boiling water. Stir until it has been absorbed.
- Add more water and stir until absorbed and continue for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mushrooms and tear up half into the risotto and the other half into a frying pan with some olive oil. Season. Crush over the garlic. Pick some of the leaves from the thyme into the pan. Stir and remove from the heat.
- Add more thyme leaves to the risotto.
- Stir the butter or Nuttelex (dairy free option) into the risotto. Grate some of the Parmesan over the top.
- Add a squeeze of lemon. Check the seasoning.
- Chop the parsley and sprinkle ½ over the risotto and ½ over the mushrooms.
- Serve the risotto with some of the mushrooms over the top. Grate over some more Parmesan.
- substitute the Parmesan cheese with dairy free cheese or delete. I use the shredded cheese from the Bio Cheese range which is available n all major Australian supermarkets.
- substitute the butter with Nuttelex. Nuttelex is a dairy free margarine which is also available at all major supermarkets. My tribe prefers the Buttery blend.