As a freshly married 21 year old – no I am not kidding – this was my first ever baking attempt. Handed down from my mother-in-law – who also happened to be a home science teacher – yes, I felt the pressure – this recipe is somewhat of a family heirloom!
Apart from being so scrumptious, the best part of the recipe is that it allows me to use up all those ‘bits’ that seem to inevitably crumble at the bottom of our gluten free Weet-Bix box. So, to avoid throwing these away – we simply collect them and when the container is overflowing, I make this slice!
You could absolutely make this sugar free by substituting the sugar with coconut sugar or erthyritol but I went all out and used the real thing this week.
I have adapted this recipe to be gluten and dairy free and I have used a lemon icing in this recipe. But if you have a chocolate craving – then please – go right ahead and make a chocolate icing!
This never disappoints – enjoy!
Weet-Bix Slice – Gluten & Dairy Free!
- 3 gluten free Weet-Bix biscuits or 45g crumbs
- 1 cup gluten free self raising flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup desicated coconut
- 125 g Nuttelex, or butter if not doing dairy free
- 1¼ cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or cocoa
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. I used a rectangular tin with dimensions 27.5 cm x 17.5 cm x 3.5 cm
- Crush the Weet-Bix biscuits in a large mixing bowl, if you aren't using crumbs.
- Add flour, sugar, coconut and mix well.
- Melt 125 grams of Nuttelex in a separate bowl then add it to the dry ingredients. Note – it doesn't hold together well but don't stress – it all works out in the end!
- Place mixture in slice tin and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes
- While the base is in the oven, make the icing. Add icing sugar, a dob of Nuttelex, lemon juice or cocoa (depending on your mood) and water and mix together. You don't want the icing too runny so just add 1 tablespoon of water first – you may not need 2.
- As soon as the base is out of the oven, pop the icing on top.
- Let it cool before cutting it! Enjoy!!