Before you start baking these biscuits, I have to warn you – they are quite ugly! But we’ve been taught NOT to judge a book by its cover, right? So, please don’t let their lack of beauty deter you.
I have had a fruit bowl foll of browning bananas hence my run on banana recipes of late. So, if you have a similar banana situation and just can’t bring yourself to make another banana bread then these biscuits are your answer!
They are also gluten and dairy free and vegan.
Banana Bread Biscuits
- 1/2 cup Nuttelex, or butter if not doing dairy free
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Mashed Banana, about 2 large bananas
- 1 tsp Bi Carb Soda (Baking Soda)
- 2 cups Gluten Free Plain Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 cup Pecans or Choc Chips, I use 1/2 a cup of each
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the egg until beaten through.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed banana and bi carb soda and let it sit for 2 minutes. This will ensure the biscuits rise. Then mix into the creamed Nuttelex mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and spices. Add to the Nuttelex and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fold in pecans and choc chips. I grind my pecans before adding them to the mix to minimise complaints from fussy family members!
- Drop dollops (roughly about 2 tablespoons) onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Bake for 11-13 minutes but watch them closely as every oven differs and they brown rather quickly.
- Let them cool on wire racks. They will be very soft when they first come out of the oven, they have an almost cake like texture.