I don’t know what it is but when Woolworths or Coles reduce something, I’m immediately interested. On my last adventure to acquire ‘essentials’, Woolies had packets of Cos Lettuce reduced to barely anything so, of course, I bought one. When I discovered that our fridge was already pulsating with green leaves, I knew I needed a plan B. Enter lettuce soup!
I know it sounds like a completely bizarre concept but you need to trust me – lettuce soup is fabulous! There was a lot of discussion amongst my tribe of boys about how repulsive it would be but I’m pleased to report – most of them woofed it down and even had seconds!
So, if you are looking for something a little different then I’d definitely give it a go! It was delish! Just think potato and leek with a twist! Enjoy!
- 6 cups Water
- 2 tbsp Chicken Stock Powder
- 2 Cos Heart Lettuces, about 20-22 leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 Spring Onions, roughly chopped
- 45 grams Nuttelex, or butter if not doing dairy free
- 600 grams Potatoes: peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 250 grams Coconut Cream, or cream if not doing dairy free
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh Mint leaves for garnish
- Place 5 cups of water, stock, lettuce, spring onions, Nuttelex and potato into a large saucepan
- Bring to the boil and then let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Ensure potato is cooked then add cream,salt, pepper and remaining cup of water and blend.
- Garnish with a little extra coconut cream and mint leaves