This is the perfect cake to use up bruised and sad lunchbox apples – you know the ones that you send to school that are returned home! At the end of a week, I’ll often cook up these rejected apples and transform them into a cake that my boys NEVER reject! And this cake can easily be made gluten and dairy free – simply follow the notes in the recipe which you can find here! Enjoy!!
- 150g butter melted (I use Nuttelex to make this cake dairy free)
- 2 cups apples stewed (around 4 apples – or just use a jar if your kids eat their apples!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour (I use any gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup mixed nuts (my kids aren’t keen so I don’t add)
- Heat oven to 150 degrees
- Place all ingredients into a bowl. Stir until combined. I use my Thermomix and blitz for about 5 seconds on speed 4 but a whiz in any food processor would be just fine.
- Pour the mixture into a springform pan and bake for about 45 mins at 150 degrees.
- Once cooled, sprinkle icing sugar over the top to enhance the aesthetics. Enjoy!